Wednesday, March 3, 2010

In Kenya

To get to Rwanda, there is no such thing as a direct flight. Louise told me she thinks the only direct flight is from Brussels. So, to get to Rwanda from Brazil, I had to go through South Africa and Kenya.

Ans and I counted a few weeks ago how many planes we had been on. It was close to 40. Now, with this trip, it will be close to 50. So let's just say that I've been in a lot of airports. The airport in Kenya was one of the nastiest ones I've ever seen. So gross. Dirt on the floor, walls, people. When they started letting us go through to get on our flight, I was so thankful. Until I saw this.
This is about 5 minutes before we are supposed to board the plane. The plane on the right is Kenya Air. The plane on the left is orange, and Rwandair is blue and white. What's left?
Um... God? THERE IS NO WAY I'M GOING ON THAT. I'VE BEEN IN AIRPORTS OR ON AIRPLANES FOR MORE THAN 24 HOURS. I DIDN'T SLEEP HARDLY AT ALL. EVERYTHING SMELLS BAD AND THERE IS JUST NO WAY I'M GOING ON THAT.

Let's just think about this. I could just stay here in Kenya... they need people to help in Kenya too, right? Right! I'll just find an orphanage here and live there for the next 2 months! No one would know the difference! But what about the Koonces? Well, I could just walk to Rwanda. It's just right next door! Or I could ride a bus. Or I could just pitch a fit until they change the airplane. I could ask them to put me on a different flight. What if I just went back home? That could work. I'll just say Rwanda isn't allowing visitors right now or something.

In the end, it all worked out. My airplane was hiding. It was big and normal and I had 2 seats to myself. See, God does listen to me!

3 comments:

  1. Está sendo muito divertido não!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! I was afraid we were gonna get stuck on a puddle jumper in Brazil too... So glad you made it safe... Im pretty sure youve doubled your total number of posts the past week! Keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! I'm with you. I wouldn't have gotten on the little plane either. :) I'm enjoying your trip. I hope you are too!

    ReplyDelete